Sunday, September 24, 2006

Today is my 59th birthday-- the official "autumn of my years" as Frank Sinatra sung about in the song "It Was A Very Good Year" The reason I am a bit chagrined by it all is that my dear father, Louis Ricciardi never made it to age 59. He died of a massive coronary occlusion on January 26, 1966-- forty years ago! Imagine losing your father (whom you were just beginning to really appreciate and relish) graduating from high school and losing your idol to death also-- that of course was Walt Disney on December 15, 1966. We also lost Ed Wynn and Verna Felton in the same year. I began college in 1966 as well learning things that I never imagined I would-- even a course in ballroom dancing. I remember an amazing history teacher in college that got me very devoted to American History. Her name was Dr. Eve Jones. What a informative, interesting and incredible teacher-- with an amazing sense of humor. I still tell the joke that she told on opening day of class forty years ago. "You know you're having a bad day when you're rushing to give a history exam about Little Big Horn and a cop stops you and says "Hey, lady, didn't you see the arrows? And you answer: "Arrows?-- hell, I didn't even see the Indians!" How many of us rush around on a daily baqsis and we are so wrapped up in our petty p-roblems that never see the "big picture"-- the arrows much less "the indians". It still gets a big laugh-- 40 years later. Lord knows, I don't see the arrows a lot these days! There is so much I wish to accomplish in my remaining days on this planet! I strive to be a successful songwriter. God knows the desire of my heart. The gift of music was given to me in a much hidden blessing-- by pure accident! Happy accidents are God's best work sometimes. Finding Tim Doran, discovering Tony Westbrook and of course my life partner, John Long. My John is my tower of strength. I think I would have turned to pure jello long ago without his keeping my feet on the ground. For a guy in his mid thirties, he is one of the smartest men on the planet. And his good heart? That, friends is purely amazing. For a guy who is not big on going to church, he has given more of himself to everyone around him (especially me) than any individual I can name-- other than my beloved parents. So today I go to my sisters and celebrate the great day. I thank the Good Lord for being alive-- now past my dad! I really need to be a lot more patient, however and need to be willing to wait for God's will to be manifested. Work is getting better and overall I am very happy! Of course, God knows what will make me the happiest man alive. In prayer, I have told him "Dear God, I don't seek to be a millionaire-- just one great mindblowing success will do-- "one for the angels". In a Twilight Zone episode, the late great Ed Wynn cheated death by claiming he had "unfinished business" until he had accomplished "one for the angels" He got what he wanted-- but not in the way he expected. So, okay, dear Lord-- surprise me-- grant me before I die "one for the angels".

1 comment:

Tony Westbrook said...

Happy Belated Birthday Mike! I hope indeed the angels grant you your birthday wish. You deserve the success you strive for! You've worked hard and dreamed hard, and earned your wings! Now, fly and soar! HOPE springs eternally!
Best always,
Tony