Friday, May 11, 2007

CATALINA IN PERIL-- GOD SAVE HER!


CATALINA ON FIRE!




FIRE ON AN ISLAND! My beloved Catalina is in great danger as is her beautiful city of Avalon as a disasterous fire has caused the evacuation of over four thousand residents there. My prayers for this wonderful place! I spent more happy days on this magnificent island! My mother, my sister and my then future brother-in-law, John spent summers there enjoying the sun, taking in the attractions, eating at El Galleon restaraunt and taking the various trips into the interior. Those were amazingly happy days-- days when I first used a camera ina truly creative way--some of those pictures, I still have on my walls to this day. This is just about the biggest danger to the island that has been reported in years. The lack of moisture has been the catalyst to this tragedy as Catalina has only received two inches of rain this entire winter season. My prayers go out to the good people of Avalon. Caralina is simply one of the most beautiful places. I was going to teach there at one time. Can you imagine being a teacher and only having ten to twelve kids in a classroom-- a teacher's dream. Today is also the birthday of Irving Berlin, the greatest songwriter of all times. We lost Irving in 1989 at the age of 101. How many of his songs have we sung over the years especially "God Bless America", "White Christmas", "Always", and of course "There's No Business Like Show Business" Irving donated all of the royalties to "God Bless America" to the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of America-- it's allowed these organizations to continue to exist. My John prepares to go and walk his mother Dorene down the asile for her new wedding on May 19th. Her is so excited. And my "mom-in-law" os the sweetest lady of all. A true class act. Another day of work and a beautiful day-- so off we go. Dear God-- spare Catalina.

No comments: