Sunday, July 02, 2006


The world lost Michael Bennett on this date in 1987 of AIDS related lymphoma.He was 44 years old. Almost twenty years without him! He was of course the creator, director and choreographer of "A Chorus Line". This landmark musical opened on Broadway on July 25th, 1975 and stayed on the Great White Way for fifteen years. This October, it re-opens again to find a new audience and a new generation of musical theatre affectionests. He was a brilliant man who loved both men and women and there are some (like James Kirkwood-- the librettist for a "Chorus Line") who have called him cruel and amoral and a guy who would literally do anything to get on a show. Well that can be bad and that can be good. Sometimes you have to go the extra mile to defy the odds! Born in 1943, Michael was a child prodigy of dance. He dropped out of high school at the age of sixteen to join a touring comapny of Jerome Robbins' "West Side Story". He would make significant influence on this show. His first big hit was "Promises, Promises" in 1968 and followed that by working with Harold Prince on Sondheim's "Company" (1970) and "Follies" on 1971. His dream was realized when he was called on to rescue a show called "Seesaw" in 1973. He agreed to take over the show on the condition that we would have total creative control-- which of course saved the show. "Dreamgirls" is another show that he shaped and made unique and wonderful. He left a sizeable portion of his massive estate to funding research to fight the AIDS epedemic and his share of "Chorus Line" profits gave the New York Shakespeare Festival and the Public Theatre there $37,800,000 dollars. Today also is a great day for me. On this date in 1999, I found my life companion, John Long. John is someone so special, so unique, so good for me, I can not begin to give words that equal the treasure that this man is. I had asked God not to let me die lonely. After seven wonderful years, I doubt now that that will happen. John provides support of my dreams, great wisdom, great laughter and great love-- and that my friends, you can not buy anywhere in the world. I knew he was the one for me the very first time we said hello-- and it's been pure magic ever since that day! Thanks to him, I can persue so much more. He gives me the courage and the enthusiasim to keep writing and to keep trying. He is in short: absolutely amazing! He teaches me new things every single day! Not bad for a guy who hasn't seen his 35th birthday yet! I love you, baby! Well until next time!