Wednesday, July 05, 2006



Well, it is today the Fifth Of July and there is one birthday that I did not mention yesterday and that of course was the birthday of "The Yankee Doodle Dandy" himself, Mr. George M. Cohan. Cohan was part of a famous vaudeville family, but soon went solo and gave us some of the greatest songs in Broadway history. Songs like "You're A Grand Old Flag" and "Give My Regards to Broadway". Joel Grey who recently was the The Wizard of Oz in the hit musical THE WICKED was the star of the Broadway show "George M" in 1966 that hailed the great showman's life and career. Isn't it funny that the two of the greatest writers were born both on July 4th. The other of course was yesterday's highlighted name: Mr. Neil Simon. I had a very quiet 4th. I had to work for the first time in eight years, so it seemed very odd. There were enough fireworks in the area around my house. But the real highlight of the day was watching the Space Shuttle go off-- the first time in the history of the Space program that we have launched a rocket on the Fourth Of July. I can tell you I cried and cheered and whooped and it made me very happy-- just like it used to when I was a kid. I would get up in the wee hours of the morning and watch the proceeding HOURS before the actual launch. I was hooked. I guess I must be part "Yankee Doodle Dandy" myself. Another hot day today, but I do have the day off-- so that is going to be pleasant. The storyteller CD for "The Traveling Companion" is finally finished and Tim and I will now make an effort to get it out to some theatres and play producers. Let's hope it takes off like that rocket yesterday! Well, until next time!

No comments: